Awards for 2012
- Steven Bookbinder, 2012-2013 National Pork Board Scholarship.
- Kirby Keller Gamma Sigma Delta Outstanding Senior Award (CoAS).
- Lingyan Kong and his BioMesh Fiber Technology Team, 2nd place, Ag Business Springboard Competition.
- Min Liu (Gamma Sigma Delta Poster Competition) 1st place in the Physical and Engineering Division.
- Josh Scheinberg (Gamma Sigma Delta Poster Competition) 2nd place in the Biological Sciences Division.
- Product Development Team - one of 6 finalists the IFT Student Association Product Development Competition.
- Audrey Draper (2012 Graduate Exhibition) 1st prize in the Health Sciences Division. "Microbial Survey of Surface Water Used for Fresh Produce Crop Irrigation in Pennsylvania."
- Amanda Svoboda (2012 Graduate Exhibition) 2nd place in the Health Sciences Division. "Presence of Shiga-toxin Producing Escherichia coli in Small and Very Small Beef Processing Plants and Resulting Beef Products Detected by a Multiplex Polymerase Chain Reaction Assay."
- Joshua Scheinberg (2012 Graduate Exhibition) 3rd place in the Health Sciences Division. "A Microbiological Comparison of Poultry Products Obtained from Farmers' Markets and Supermarkets in Pennsylvania."
- Yeyi Gu (2012 Graduate Exhibition) 3rd place in the Health Sciences Division. "Anti-inflammatory and Anti-Obesity Effects of Cocoa Procyanidins."
- Lingyan Kong (2012 Graduate Exhibition) 3rd place in the Health Sciences Division. "Fabrication of pure starch fibers by electrospinning."
- Nadia Byrnes (2012 Graduate Exhibition) 2nd place in the Social and Behavioral S Division. "Determining the Relationship between Personality Variables and Liking of Spicy Foods."
- Karma James and Zach Bitzer, and Dr. Elias (PSU Iron Chef 2012 Competition) 3rd place.
- Min Liu, 2nd place in the oral presentation category at the (Conference of Food Engineering (CoFE). “Inclusion of Layered Double Hydroxide (LDH) Nanoparticles in Polyhydroxybutyrate-valerate (PHBV) Improves the Mechanical Properties of Bio-based Films.”
- Amanda Svobada (2012 Philadelphia section IFT Scholarship).
- Thomas Palchak (2012 PSU Dairymen’s Club Service Award).
- Robert Roberts promoted to Full Professor.
- Claire Berton (2012 Postdoc Society Exhibition) 3rd place.
- Jim Brown 2012 Staff Laureate Leadership Award (CoAS).
- Steve Bookbinder, Alyssa Dietrich, Sarah Doyle, and Kristen Stufft (American Meat Science Association Reciprocal Meats Conference competition.) 1st place.
- Steven Bookbinder, Maggie Harding and Sara Calaman (2012-2013 Keystone IFT Scholarship).
- Sara Calaman, 2012 Food Industry Group (FIG) Undergraduate Student Leadership Award.
- Samantha Bennett, 2012 Food Industry Group (FIG) Graduate Student Leadership Award.
- Ryan Elias, American Chemical Society's Young Scientist Award (Agricultural and Food Chemistry Division) American Chemical Society.
- Edward Dudley promoted to Associate Professor.
- Alissa Allen,winner of the Beverley Kroll Award for Outstanding Presentation that Develops or Expands a Method for her poster, “Bitterness
of the non-nutritive sweetener Acesulfame Potassium varies with
polymorphisms in TAS2R9, TAS2R31 and TAS2R38". Society for Sensory Professionals Conference, 2012.
- Bangde Li, winner of the Jean Caul Award for Outstanding Use of Scientific Principles in Research Design, Execution, and Interpretation for his poster, “Optimization of coffee milk formulation using a mixture design”. Society for Sensory Professionals Conference, 2012.
- Nadia Byrnes, winner of the General Award for Outstanding Presentation of Innovation for her poster, "Relationships between chemesthesis and personality factors".
Society for Sensory Professionals Conference, 2012.
- Maggie Harding, Elite 89 Award for the 2012 NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball Championship.