- M.S., Food Science, Penn State University
- B.S., General Science, Lock Haven University
- Silgan Containers Corporation (2001 – Present)
Packaging Technical Representative
Responsible for implementing new packaging systems, evaluating new packaging technology, evaluating packaging cost savings opportunities, evaluating packaging systems to reduce packaging distribution damage for Food and Pharmaceutical Companies both internationally and domestically.
- ConAgra Foods/International Home Foods, Milton, PA (1987 – 2001)
Director of Packaging
Responsible for the managing, coordinating and directing a packaging staff covering all aspects of package development, cost savings opportunities, control of package distribution damage, improvement to existing packaging systems and keeping IHF abreast of package environmental issues and new technology.
- Developed the IHF Packaging Group including the hiring of staff, designing the Packaging laboratory, procuring the necessary package testing equipment and developing the budget.
- Developed the plastic microwave container for Chef Boyardee shelf stable products that resulted in a new $90 MM annual new business opportunity.
- Converted all Gulden’s mustard containers from glass to plastic (PET) resulting in a $500 M annual savings and a more consumer friendly package.
- Developed frozen food packaging for the successful launch of Frozen Chef Boyardee products.
- Coordinated a task force that reduced package Distribution damage by $3MM dollars.
- Responsible for $2.8 MM annual savings in IHF metal containers.
- Developed new actuator for PAM aerosol cans
- Authored a textbook on Packaging Principles that is used to teach a course in Packaging at Penn State University.
- H. J. Heinz Company, Pittsburgh, PA (1979 – 1987)
Senior Packaging Engineer
Responsible for the development and evaluation of packaging materials for Weight Watchers products and Heinz condiments. Team leader for the development and implementation of the Heinz plastic ketchup bottle. Responsible for the evaluation of package testing and cost parameters for Aseptic packaging for several Heinz products.
Selected Professional Accomplishments:
- Speaker at GMA Annual Meeting
- “New Packaging Technology and its Impact”
- Speaker at the Society of Plastics Annual Meeting
- “Development of Innovative Packaging beyond the Year 2000”
- Speaker at the National Food Processor’s Association Meeting
- “Controlling Package Distribution Damage”
- Speaker at the Institute of Packaging Professionals
- “Plastics, Packaging and Environmental Concerns”
- Speaker at the PET Plastics Conference
- “Use of Recycled Polypropylene in Food Packaging”
- Judge for “Food Processing” Package of the Year Award