Frequently asked questions about applying to the Food Science Graduate Program.

Can anyone apply to the Food Science Graduate Program?

As a minimum, potential applicants must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution upon admission to our graduate program. We consider all applicants for assistantships and typically only accept students into our program that we can provide financial support or are recipients of externally funded scholarships.

To whom do I send my materials?

Please send TOEFL and GRE scores to Penn State electronically. IELTS scores should be mailed to:

The Pennsylvania State University
Graduate Enrollment Services
114 Kern Building
University Park, PA 16802

All other materials that cannot be uploaded to the Graduate School's Admission and Program Information Portal can be mailed to:

Graduate Program Coordinator
Department of Food Science
202 Rodney A. Erickson Food Science Building
University Park, PA 16802

What is the deadline for admission into your M.S. and Ph.D. programs?

While we accept applications throughout the year, we request your application package be submitted no later than December 15th for those applying for admission starting in the Fall Semester and no later than August 15th for those applying for admission starting in the Spring Semester.

Meeting these deadlines offers your application package the greatest opportunity for review by our Graduate Program Committee and faculty of interest.

What is the minimum TOEFL score for admission into our program?

The TOEFL is a requirement of the Graduate School. TOEFL scores of 550 on the paper test, 213 on the computer-based test, or 80 on the IBT (Internet Based Test) are required for admission. Per the Graduate School requirement, applicants must score 19 or higher on the speaking portion of the IBT.

Regarding the TOEFL, if someone is from the English-speaking portion of a country, such as Canada, must they submit a TOEFL score?

If English is not your native tongue, then you must submit a TOEFL score.

What are the minimum requirements of the GRE?

We do not have a minimum GRE requirement.

Can you credit my experience as a substitute to the GRE requirement?

We cannot waive the GRE requirement.

If I was rejected for admission into the graduate program for a certain semester, is it possible to reapply? If so, what is the first step to reapply?

You will need to update your graduate application by contacting the food science department's graduate staff assistant.

I am unable to attend classes at University Park. Do you offer any distance learning programs?

Both our Ph.D. and M.S. programs are research intensive and require a considerable amount of time in both coursework and laboratory time to fulfill the requirements for the respective degree. For those who cannot commit the time required to fulfill the requirements of a graduate degree we offer a wide variety of conferences and short courses that can be accessed via the web.

Additionally, we offer a fully online, Graduate Certificate Program in Sensory & Consumer Science through Penn State's World Campus.

Who do I contact for more information?

Contact our graduate program coordinators.